Dr. Steven Segall, Madison, WI
Periodontal specialty practice) For the past 20 years, periodontal dental hygiene responsibilities included; quadrant and whole mouth scaling and root planing, administration of local anesthesia, sub-gingival chemo-therapeutics, radiographs, maintenance recall appointments, suture removal, impressions, and patient education and health promotion. Monitored patient needs and office OSHA policy.
Oral Health Consultant
Back to School for Healthy Smiles,
for "Healthy Smiles for Wisconsin" and "Back to School for Healthy Smiles", both part of the Children's Health Alliance of Wisconsin (now Wisconsin Oral Health Coalition) activities.
Developed, wrote, and edited "Seal a Smile - A Dental Sealant Portfolio for Dental Hygiene Programs and Wisconsin Communities". The portfolio is a comprehensive step by step guideline for developing school-based and school-linked dental sealant programs providing needed oral health preventive services to children who lack access to traditional dental care. The portfolio is currently used as part of the Seal a Smile initiative throughout Wisconsin, and serves as a model for similar projects in other states. The Sealant Portfolio was a CDC grant project.
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Armstrong State College, Savannah, GA
Clinical, lab, and lecture experience
* Dental Hygienist for the Wisconsin Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped.
Program activities included development and implementation of an oral health preventive, educational, and referral program for approximately 1,500 clients from Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, and Washington county schools and work programs.
Recipient of the Carol B. Benson Memorial for Outstanding Service,
for the Wisconsin Dental Hygienists' Association. Worked with lobbyists from various groups and associations, the Wisconsin Dental Association and the Wisconsin Legislature on legislation that included expanded functions for dental hygienists. As a result, Wisconsin dental hygienists may now administer local anesthesia, place sub-gingival chemotherapeutics, and administer oral pre-medications. There is also increased representation of dental hygienists on the Dentistry Examining Board.
* Developed grass root efforts to include Wisconsin hygienists in legislative activities. Organized all speeches and meetings to legislators. Worked with legislators and lawyers for the Legislative Reference Bureau writing bills relating to the practice of dental hygiene. Assisted lobbyist in the development of professional issues.
* Developed, wrote, and edited "Seal a Smile - A Dental Sealant Portfolio for Dental Hygiene Programs and Wisconsin Communities." The multi - section portfolio is used throughout Wisconsin as well as other states and countries.
* Designed oral health educational handouts for children and adults covering many facets of oral health and disease prevention.
* Served on various oral health committees to study and help improve dental access to the underserved and participated in many community dental health projects.