DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. In the Clinical Field
1. Assess and evaluate the student's knowledge, skills and attitude through one on one care of the patient to develop a good foundation and training.
- Note the student's ability to perform physical assessment like proper checking of vital signs such as pulse rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate and temperature on his/her client.
- Supervise the student in documenting data on the patient's chart referring it on the assessment that was performed to have accurate account of the patient's status.
- Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of nursing interventions implemented by the student nurse by giving them written exam and verbal questions regarding their performance at the particular area of assignment.
2. Monitor and assure that the student nurses are rendering quality care to the patients.
- Monitor a student nurse make the patient's bed and room before admission of the new patient and to usher him/her to the room with proper orientation regarding room set-up and hospital policy.
- Guide and assist a student nurse in administering drugs via oral, subcutaneous, intravenous or intradermal route as prescribed by the doctor to the client following the principles of giving medication; right patient/client, right dose, right medication, right route and right time. Observing and maintaining medical asepsis throughout the process.
- Perform routine rounds as much as possible to check on the students and their patients' needs and condition and assure that the students are performing their duties as nurses.
- Allow students to usher and assist their patients together with the nurse on duty for scheduled laboratory and X ray examinations.
- Attend to doctors' rounds to their patient handled by your student nurse; provide accurate reports of patients' condition and reaction to medications and treatments as assessed by the student nurses. Take note of the doctors' orders and updates the staff nurses of the current orders by the physician.
3. Provide additional knowledge by conducting post conferences and requiring students to report case study handled by the students at the various area of assignment. Demonstrate hospital procedures like insertion of NGT to hasten their skills and guide students develop the right and positive attitude in handling not only their patient and their significant others but also those encountered at the hospital such as the physicians, head nurse, nurse supervisor,etc.
4. Assist and supervise the student nurses on recording, countersigning medications administered and treatment rendered into the patients' chart. Give health teachings about the patients' medical condition such as required diet and possible interventions/management that would be implemented. Upon discharge of patient, student nurses are also supervised in giving home teachings such as instructions on medications that are to be continued at home, diet and when to come back for evaluation.
5. Instruct student nurses to keep ward clean and orderly in coordination with Housekeeping Aides and Nursing Aides.
6. Orient student nurses on the ward set up, SOP's and responsibilities.
7. Instruct and supervise student nurses to receive endorsements of their patients from the outgoing and allow students to endorse to the incoming shift as well.
8. Check sample nurses notes, equipment, supplies needed for the patient care.
B. In the Classroom Field
1. Provide knowledge on the nursing course basing it both on theories of nursing care and actual practice in all the areas of nursing.
- Discuss in the classroom basic skills covered by the syllabus
- Teach the students fundamentals of nursing skills like drug administration,
physical assessment, NGT feeding, etc. which are needed for effective
care of the client in the clinical area.
- Discuss in the classroom theories on the practice of nursing for health
2. Assess their knowledge and skills through giving them quizzes, return
demonstration activities, assignments and exams and compute for their
grades every term and semester to evaluate their performance in all aspects as a student nurse.
- Assign topics that are to be discussed and give them assignments with the specific topics.
- Involve students through active participation by giving activities such as role plays, movie analysis and graded recitations.
- Assess and evaluate the gained knowledge of the students from lectures and return demonstrations through post quizzes of discussed topics and return demonstration of skills that were discussed and demonstrated.
- Compute for their grades every term and semester to evaluate who is to pass the nursing subject.
3. Prepare the students for board exam by giving them knowledge of the principles of the Nursing Profession.
- Give exams that are almost patterned to that of the board examinations.
- Formulate questions basing it from the topics that were discussed and follow the pattern of the local board examinations.
- Develop in the student nurses critical thinking that would be of great use when taking the local board exam or any of the international examinations.
4. Observe the designated grading system.
- Cumulative Scores of requirements. (Quizzes, Assignments, Classroom
Activities, Projects). Raw score multiplied to 70 percent to be able to have the transmuted grade.
C. In the Community Field
- Check the attendance of the students, uniforms and paraphernalia needed.
- Coordinate in the orientation and evaluation of the students.
- Assign cases to students. Plan, implement and evaluate family nursing care.
- Supervise students in home visits and other nursing procedures to be done during such visits, such as cord dressing, and wound dressing.
- Assist students planning and conducting health teaching during home visits regarding prenatal and post natal education, prevention and intervention of diseases.
- Assist students in clinic days in respective rural units or health centers.
- Assist doctors in physical examination and treatment.
- Prepare and give immunization and medications.