IT project management
Oxford and Associates (consulting at Smith and Nephew), Melrose, MA
Nov 2010 – Oct 2011
at Smith and Nephew, Andover, MA. Responsible for multiple concurrent web projects for the company's Global Information Services (GIS) unit delivering projects according to the firm's PMO/SDM process.
- Build out a new SharePoint 2010 Intranet promotion tiered platform with an updated look & feel and MSN--like content delivery web parts. Migrate Global Information Services customer WCM we presence adding new workflow driven content approval automation.
- Migration and standardization of GIS Team sites from WSS 3.0 to the new SharePoint 2010 Enterprise platform adding a new Nintex workflow capability and platform training. Consolidation of content to leverage new platform features to improve collaboration and deliver a "standardized" Teamsites SharePoint 2010 solution that fits the evolving S&N Global Information Services organization.
- Build-out of a new high availability SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Extranet platform that authenticates internal users through a forest one way trust and external users with forms based authentication (using SharePoint Solutions SPGA/ECM products).
- Smith-newphew.com Redesign - planned a multi-million dollar RedDot redesigning initiative for the firm's public website to gain a strategic advantage over competitor sites and create templates for language variant sites.
Independent, Melrose, MA
Aug 2009 – Nov 2010
Strategic assessment and delivery of SharePoint and other web presence initiatives:
- SharePoint Integration assessment to define an integration strategy for Alexsys Corporation's Team product Suite with MS SharePoint products.
- IT services, web presence, ecommerce assessment, and a business strategy assessment services for RGB Consulting to assist with a planned expansion of their consulting services into new areas.
- Web strategy and delivery services for several Real Estate initiatives including the development a large parcel of recreation property in Western Maine, a vacation rental concern, and a web presence site build out for custom brochure web site for a 1.75 million dollar luxury oceanfront property in the Bar Harbor area of Maine.
Senior Consulting Manager
Burntsand Inc, Waltham, MA
Aug 2007 – Jul 2009
Directed consulting engagements for various clients in the Boston area for the Microsoft Practice of Burntsand Inc.'s Waltham office. Responsibilities included program solution assessment and strategy envisioning, overall solution delivery responsibility, hands on day-to-day project management, requirements gathering/documentation, business analysis, and high-level design/strategic guidance for solutions. The various consulting engagements overview follows: MOSS 2007 Enterprise (SharePoint) Architectural Services - Andover, MA - Managed the build out of MOSS 2007 Extranet and Intranet solution platforms, facilitated the definition of governance policies, and managed SharePoint (WSS 3.0) site migrations for a global medical product leader. Also managed the SDLC delivery of several SharePoint integrated custom .Net applications including:
- Custom Extranet forms based authentication capability
- Custom workflow based MOSS 2007/InfoPath competition sites for Healthcare IT, and Six Sigma "black belt" managed Healthcare and Consumer Lighting projects.
- Custom workflow driven MOSS 2007/InfoPath internal "Make Right" collaboration system which manages the information capture, review, rule based routing, and ultimate approval for customer concessions granted as consideration for problem resolution on multimillion dollar medical systems.
Custom SharePoint/CRM Accreditation Platform - Waltham, MA (client in Chicago, IL) -
Completed delivery of a MOSS 2007 Enterprise (SharePoint) / CRM based, workflow driven, accreditation solution for a prestigious, Chicago based, medical accreditation organization. The solution provides customize CRM based backend capability for the accrediting institution to manage client institution information along with MOSS 2007 role based portals which institution administrators, reviewers, and council members to collaborate on accreditation related activity. Customizations included custom workflow driven InfoPath form based collaboration and SharePoint list to CRM based data synchronization.
Custom Shift Management Application - Boston, MA - Managed the delivery of a custom .Net Ajax enabled, union compliant, operator shift scheduling application to streamline the shift scheduling process and reduce grievance filings.
Medfli Inc, Woburn, MA
Jan 2006 – Jul 2007
Provided strategic product, business, and systems consulting services to a new medical services firm seeking venture capital. Managing the requirements and build out of a .Net 'brandable' web portal delivering medical search, social networking, and medical record aggregation capabilities as part of a suite of services that included 'Bill Assist' and 'Nurse Assist' (hotline) services.
Director of Systems Development
FundQuest Inc, Boston, MA
Sep 2002 – Sep 2005
Responsible for application development teams of 35+ performing n tier C# .Net, SQL Server, VB, VFP systems development, application support, and network/data centers for a leading service provider of customized 'white label', fee based advisory services to fortune 500 financial institutions.
Corporate goals - Directed development initiatives and software platform support during a period that achieved: * 3 back-to-back years of increasing profit with 300% growth of assets under management
* Met the corporate objective to sell the enterprise within 5 years (accomplished in 3 years). The company's technology was cited as one of 2 key drivers for the purchase.
Cultural Evolution - Standardized new development on .net, SQL Server, and Flash (for interactive presentation layers): * Reorganized to centralize application support, facilitated cross training, and focused on core competencies
* Introduced an oversight committee to mitigate risk and set strategic direction
* Standardized and improved development methodology, QA, and promotion processes
* Supplemented internal resources with vendor partnering to extend delivery capabilities
Web platform consolidation - Directed development of an n tier C# .Net, data driven client web site application management (CMS) system that enabled non-programmers to centrally plan, manage, and promote customized, branded client web portal applications on a staging platform and push button promote changes to production upon approval. Notable features included: * Web based WYSYWIG portal for client institution portal updates.
* New client web applications are provisioned 66% faster at 25% of original cost
* Replaced costly, error prone manual promotions with browser button pushes. Reduced site enhancements & approval from days/week to hours/days
* Channeled developer resources to higher value, strategic initiatives
Legacy platform evolution - Implemented a successful n tier .net, SQL server evolution strategy for the legacy portfolio accounting platform while providing ongoing demanding enhancement support for fortune 500 clients.
* Enabled client access to prior day activity by market open that was previously posted in early afternoon
* Replaced legacy FoxPro portfolio accounting system data access with a data access layer and SQL server back end.
o Alleviated enterprise threatening file size limitation constraints
o Achieved 80% performance calculation throughput improvement eliminating 3.5 week batch processing backlog
o Restored performance and position data integrity
* Replaced legacy platform data feed with monthly Morningstar data feed
* Straight through processing streamlined account opening and reduced errors.
* Web based customizable reporting based on the SQL Reporting tool.
* Optimized quarterly processing reducing run time over 75%.
* Lead effort to build a price issue resolution system that dramatically reduced valuation errors impacting performance calculation for daily web presentation and quarterly statements
Hardware platform evolution - directed ongoing support and platform evolution for the organization's 2 data centers and voice/data network infrastructure.
* Upgraded for entire hardware platform in stages and within budget constraints.
* Consolidated core platform data storage onto a SAN
* Directed move of data center and all personnel IT assets to new corporate state of the art data center
Client project initiatives - Directed internal and external development for several products supporting retirement planning and retail product channels. Products feature highly interactive Flash based interfaces, web service integration with legacy system data, and desktop publishing quality proposal generation.
MIS Consulting Corp, Melrose, MA
May 1999 – Sep 2002
Established an independent consulting service specializing in data driven web applications.
Positioned a small growing organization to automate its product quote and fulfillment over the web with a data driven e-commerce solution to license a complex suite of software and peripheral products.
Product Feature Summary
* Data driven pricing and support for a variety of pricing methods (fixed, tiered, server, and percentage of total license valuation for annual support).
* Generic local tax, and shipping/handling calculation configured for (FedEx & flat rate).
* Administrator discount pricing and custom payment capabilities
* Duplicate purchase and charge prevention
* Cached, data driven
* Integrated "test mode" supporting forced failures, configurable mode based notifications, and automated payment charge bypass.
Established Internet strategy and delivered web presence for a large independent real estate concern
* Brought site online within 5 weeks - completed fully functional site in two months
* Integrated site with existing property search and MLS services
* Authored graphic and marketing content
* Achieved top placement with major search engines
Work Flow & Asset Management Product Lead
Seek Consulting at Fidelity Investments,
Feb 1996 – Apr 1999
Directed ongoing OO development for an enterprise wide, telecom workflow and inventory management application used by hundreds of users with diverse business requirements.
* Reversed negative user sentiment into a groundswell of approval.
* Lead and mentored a team of 12 developers and QA personnel through all phases of the project life cycle.
* Re-engineered the application paradigm creating "service requests" tasks with configurable, pre-defined default work (implementation) tasks.
* Automated inventory update upon task completion for asset task changes
* System tasks and related asset inventory supported $10M inter-company annual billing
Inter-company Service Forecasting Application: Jun 95 - Jan 96
Responsible for the entire project to create a client server based inter-company Service Utilization Requirements Forecasting system (SURF), which was later adopted by other service organizations.
Seek Consulting at Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA
Dec 1991 – Apr 1999
Enhancements, and Conversions
Seek Consulting at Fidelity Investments,
Dec 1991 – May 1995
Directed team resources reengineering and enhancing Fidelity Telecom Inter-company Billing, Inventory tracking, and Customer Service Request systems.
* Re-engineered Inter-company system billing $50M annually to data drive hard-coded billing rules.
* Added subsystem to allocate over/under charges to cost centers based on usage
* Developed easy to use, online report generator for mainframe Service Request system.
* Tuned system performance reducing processing times by an order of magnitude.
* Migrated the SAS based systems from CMS to MVS.
Environment: PowerBuilder, PowerTOOL framework, MS SQL Server, Perl scripting, Net Dynamics, IBM Mainframes running MVS and CMS, SAS AF & FSP
Trust and Trust Tax System development
Bank of Boston,
Jul 1990 – Dec 1991
Successfully directed the rewrite of a Trust Tax 1099/1041 system to process pre and post SEI conversion data along with several purchased banks' tax feeds within an extremely aggressive time frame.
Environment: IBM MVS Mainframe, COBOL, UCC7, and SAS.
Trust and Trust Tax System development and support: 1986 - Jun 90
Provided comprehensive system development, analysis, and maintenance services to support a leading Boston Bank's Trust Accounting and Tax Systems utilizing both COBOL and SAS programming.
Environment: IBM MVS Mainframe, COBOL, VSAM, UCC7, and SAS.
Bank of Boston, Boston, MA
1986 – 1991
Bank of Boston's DDA,
1984 – 1986
Provided programming maintenance and enhancement support for Bank of Boston's DDA (checking account) SWIFT transmission sub system and system during a period of account consolidation from affiliates.
Environment: IBM MVS Mainframe, COBOL, UCC7, and SAS