AML Compliance Officer
HABIB METRO BANK Compliance Division,
Oct 2010 – Current
Joined HMB as Operational Risk Manager in HMB Risk Management Division (RMD), where I worked with Head of Risk Management in formulating strategy to align HMB Operational Risk management with Basel covenants & Regulator's guidelines. At RMD I assisted in managing operational risk questionnaires, developed Key Risk Indicators for critical functions, suggested key controls in Risk & Control Self Assessments (RCSA), worked out Evacuation drills & Staff Call Tests related to Business Continuity Planning (BCP), revised various Bank Policies related to Risk Management & Compliance and prepared presentations for Head of RMD on Operational Risk, BCP & Risk Management Committee.
On the basis of my extensive work experience in Anti-Money Laundering I was given an opportunity to reform HMB AML unit; where I played an active role in restructuring AML monitoring and surveillance procedures. My current tasks in a day usually involve:
* Reviewing transactions captured in various AML monitors & confirming their genuineness with respective branches.
* Identification & preparation of Suspicious Transaction Report (STR).
* Trend Analysis of suspicious transactions based on customers transaction activity.
* Training and development of Branch Compliance Coordinators.
* Rectification of incomplete/inappropriate KYC found during file notes analysis.
* Coordination / follow-up with branches for Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) related STRs.
AML Compliance Officer
HBL Anti-Money Laundering Department,
Mar 2010 – Sep 2010
Investigated quality alerts created in various scenarios of Mantas AML solution; which uses advanced pattern detection techniques and data analytics to monitor account transactions & customer activities for possible money laundering and suspicious behavior. In addition to routine activities, I have been also associated with review & updation of HBL AML & KYC Policy. Key responsibilities included:
* Reporting of suspicious transaction (STR) for onward submission to Financial Monitoring Unit (FMU).
* Supervise, investigate and escalate 'Reassigned Alerts'; which seem suspicious after preliminary inquiry.
* Monitoring alerts for allocated HBL Regions as per guidelines given in Standard Operating Procedures.
* Sample selection of quality alerts from 8 different AML scenarios to work upon, within a specified time frame.
* Escalation of AML related inquiries to concerned HBL domestic branches through E-mails/Memos.
* Getting customers' KYC updated on MISYS for accounts where suspicious activity had been observed.
Operational Risk Analyst, HBL Operational Risk Management
A.F. Ferguson & Co,
Jul 2009 – Feb 2010
Worked in Operational Risk Management Division in consultation with A.F. Ferguson & Co. (PriceWaterhouseCoopers), created with the objective to identify, assess, monitor & control various risks involved in operational activities of all business & support groups which might cause direct or indirect loss to the bank. ORMD worked closely in accordance with the directives of Basel II Accord & guidelines set out by State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) vide its relevant circulars on the subject. Key responsibilities included:
* Compiled, analyzed and reported Operational Risk of selected departments identified through historical loss database maintenance and Risk & Control Self Assessment exercises.
* Generated management reports, periodically & on ad-hoc basis, containing executive summary and analysis of OpRisk mitigation activities and residual risks and conveying as per escalation procedure.
* Analyzed responses of Compliance Self Assessment questionnaires and formulated conclusions keeping in view critical factors such as accuracy, timeliness of reporting, completeness and consistency.
* Coordinated with OpRisk contact persons to ensure integrity of data received from the business & support departments including Security, Human Resource, Credit Administration, Corporate & Consumer Finance.
HBL New York AML Look, New York, NY
Mar 2008 – Jun 2009
Worked as Case Manager in AML Look-Back Project alongside KPMG Ernst & Young Team. The project was successfully carried out on behalf of HBL New York under contract with United States Federal Reserves it involved thorough investigative procedures to scrutinize US Dollar transactions done via HBL network (across 38 countries). Working on this project had equipped me with a broad understanding of regulatory bank compliance. Key responsibilities included:
* Lead my team of six analysts in analyzing financial transactions; reviewing key risk assessments; establishing customer profile and collecting information from HBL domestic & international branches.
* Made extensive use of internet search engines such as dog pile, Google, AltaVista etc to collate information on various customers & their businesses and verified the results on World-Check.com.
* Compiled all investigative information in a comprehensive report which comprised of Executive Summary, Risk Profile, Due Diligence, Memorandum of Fact and Recommendation.
* Recommended eventual decision based on case findings to Quality Assurance Manager at HBL New York, specified whether the case should be filed as Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) or needed to be closed.
* Carried out all Compliance & AML related tasks as requested by QA Managers at New York from time to time, for completion of Look-Back Project cases within stipulated time frame.
HBL Data Control Department,
Aug 2007 – Feb 2008
Worked in the newly established MISYS Data Control Department where I had monitored the daily activity of more than 1400 branches, of which 600 branches were fully operational on MISYS-Equation Banking Software. I created a variety of inquisitive reports by using exclusively designed 'Query Menu' in MISYS. These reports were eventually used to appraise the quarterly performance of HBL retail branches. Key responsibilities included:
* Created reports to assess the level of compliance met by retail branches regarding inputting of significant data about new account holders for e.g. CNIC data, addresses, balances etc.
* Prepared comprehensive summaries showing key financial data of 1457 HBL retail branches regarding Deposits, number & types of Accounts Opened, unreconciled entries etc.
* Streamlined key financial data by identifying errors in routine banking transactions and eradicating them through constant liaison with teams working on respective regions and branches.
Credit Officer, HBL Retail Banking Group
Karachi North Region, Karachi
Nov 2005 – Jul 2007
Designated at HBL Retail Branch Karachi as Retail Credit Officer; after having completed mandatory rotational training at various HBL branches, where I gained practical exposure to entire retail banking operations performed at Habib Bank Ltd. Fully conversant with the bank's policies & procedures regarding both Consumer and Commercial Finances.
Courses & Trainings
Certificate Course in Islamic Banking, Centre for Islamic Economics (CIE), Karachi
Attended a certificate course in Islamic banking & Finance conducted under vigilant supervision of Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani (Chairman AAOIFI), eminent Sharia'h scholars and practicing Islamic Bankers, which entailed an introductory study of diverse Islamic banking concepts and Sharia'h compliant modes of finance such as Murabaha, Ijara, Salam, Istisna', Musharaka, Diminishing Musharaka, Mudaraba, Islamic Insurance (Takaful) and Islamic Investment Funds.
Institute of Bankers Pakistan (IBP) Workshop & HBL Core Banking Trainings:
* A Practical Approach to Effective Compliance Management * Business Process Re-Engineering
* Know Your Customer (KYC) / Anti Money Laundering * Change Management & Cultural Transformation
* Credit Risk Management, Risk Rating Policy * Trade Finance, Documentary Credit
* Financial statements - Analysis & Uses * SBP Prudential Regulations For Commercial Banks
Sep 2006 – Jun 2007
Acquired extensive hands on training on MISYS Equation banking software (Lending Module) from Dubai based professional MISYS trainer. The training comprehensively covered all conceptual & technical aspects of Corporate & Retail loan management & provided valuable expertise in handling various lending issues such as:
* Customer's Finance account maintenance and enquiries
* Lending deals - booking, maintenance and enquiries
* Repayment, Pay-off, Delinquency, Recording & Assignment of collaterals