INVESTMENT ASSOCIATE / CO-PORTFOLIO MANAGER
MERRILL LYNCH, Birmingham, AL
Apr 2008 – Apr 2012
* As part of a five-member financial advisory team, I oversaw more than $200,000,000 in assets, consisting of 285 clients, across 14 states. (Assets under management consisted of third party manager fee-based assets, discretionary fee-based assets and non-fee-based retail brokerage account assets)
* Conducted portfolio reviews, managed portfolios where a portfolio manager was not assigned, closed millions of dollars in new business, conceptualized and orchestrated revenue producing campaigns, and maintained a client retention rate of 98%. Also shared an office with the senior member of the team for two years, which offered invaluable training opportunities.
* Conducted and communicated the wealth management process to clients and prospects.
* Sustained monthly communication with clients to confer and review changes in portfolios, as well as to propose investment ideas.
* Prepared monthly business goals with full-time concentration on obtaining these goals.
* Oversaw the following major areas of the practice:
* 401k Plans: Experienced in plan design, administration, investment selection, participant communications, on-site participant meetings, fiduciary responsibilities, 5500 reporting, and plan testing.
* Annuities: Extremely knowledgeable in fixed and variable annuity policy benefits, fees, sub-account investment options, CDSC charges, surrender fee periods, death benefits, living benefits, gain lock-in's (ratcheting), minimum percentage growth rates, and the potential for a guaranteed lifetime of income. Responsibilities included entering all annuity tickets (new tickets and 1035 exchanges) and answering all client-suitability questions from compliance. Highlight: Our team was recognized by Transamerica as being one of the top annuity producers in the region in 2010.
* Education Planning: Used discounted cash flow techniques to determine the required amount of money in today's dollars needed to pay for higher education expenses in the future. Utilized UTMA's, UGMA's, 529's, and Coverdell Education Savings Accounts for these investments.
* Fixed Income: Experienced in structuring fixed income portfolios using a barbell strategy, revising target durations in response to yield curve movements, and monitoring the likelihood of bonds being called based on assumptions in interest rate movements and bond maturities.
* Initial Public Offerings: Responsible for identifying which IPO's to offer clients, for entering indications of interest to IPO coordinator, and for entering all orders once allocations received.
* Life Insurance / Long-term Care: Experience with term life, universal life, variable life, and whole life insurance policies, and specialized in partnership approved long-term care policies.
* Mortgages: Knowledgeable in mortgage processing procedures associated with fixed rate, adjustable rate, fix-to-adjustable rate, interest only, and home equity lines of credit. Responsibilities included serving as liaison between clients and the loan department, working on loan originations, loan refinances, and loan servicing. Gained extensive experience managing client expectations when lending guidelines tightened beginning in 2008.
* Options: Routinely made recommendations to clients on when to write covered calls and when to buy back to take advantage of market conditions.
* Retirement Accumulation Planning: Regularly encouraged clients to maximize contributions to 401k's, IRA's, SEP's, and SIMPLE accounts while in the accumulation phase.
* Retirement Income Planning: Utilized all sources of retirement income: pension income, social security income, income from trusts, annuities, insurance policies, and current investments.
* Securities Based Lending: Worked with clients to establish credit facilities utilizing taxable holdings as collateral.
* Structured Investment Products / Market Linked Investments: Provided recommendations on how much to allocate to these investments and educated clients on the risks involved with such investments. Investments included bull and bear structured notes associated with baskets of equities, commodities, interest rates, and indices.
* Succession Planning: Experienced in working with revocable and irrevocable trusts, living and testamentary trusts, special needs trusts, marital trusts, charitable remainder trusts, generation skipping trusts, spendthrift trusts, and grantor retained trusts.
* Tax Planning: Assisted in rebalancing portfolios, as part of year-end portfolio reviews, in an effort to maximize tax efficiency vs. assets held outside of the firm (to offset gains with losses and vice-versa). Also, advised clients on the advantages and disadvantages associated with converting regular IRA's to ROTH IRA's.
* CO-PORTFOLIO MANAGER
* One-year experience in co-managing a $6,000,000, discretionary, covered call investment strategy portfolio.
* Responsible for day-to-day trading decisions, analyzing asset-class weightings, pre-trade modeling of all intended trades, the rebalancing of accounts to provide for regular distributions, the monitoring of financial market news, corporate actions, and performance attribution analyses.
* Also responsible for resolving technological, operational, accounting and settlement issues related to portfolio implementation, and for reviewing trade execution reports to ensure order accuracy.
MERRILL LYNCH, Birmingham, AL
Apr 2008 – Apr 2011
At this time I transitioned to my second team to serve in the role of Investment Associate, however, to obtain the Investment Associate title, you must be series 7 licensed for five years. Having received my series 7 license in April 2006, I had to wait until April 2011 to have the title of Investment Associate. So from April 2008 - April 2011, my title was Client Associate, but the role I served was Investment Associate. Refer to description above of my role as Investment Associate.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY BASEBALL TEAM, Auburn, AL
Aug 2001 – May 2004
Responsible for team equipment during travel, the set-up and take-down of equipment for batting practice and pre-game field preparations.
* Highlight: Worked with secret service during President George W. Bush's visit to Plainsman Park for his endorsement speech of former governor Bob Riley.
* Highlight: In 2003, Baseball America declared Hitchcock field at Plainsman Park the best college baseball venue in the country.
* Contact Management Database: Act, salesforce.com
* Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint
* Financial Software: Thomson One
* Financial Analysis: Monte Carlo Simulation and Efficient Frontier Analysis
* Trading and Order Management Software: Charles River Trading Software