Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) Hospital Addition, Central Energy Plant, Consolidated Parking Structure and BAMC Renovations: 750,000 SF ($830 Million).
Support for the Base Realignment and Closure 2005 (BRAC 2005) Joint Medical Facilities Office (JMFO), Fort Sam Houston, Texas (ongoing)
- Evaluation of healthcare operations and initial outfitting with the on-site Resident Engineer, Project
Engineer, Construction Representatives for the Corps of Engineers, BAMC Facilities, and including the general construction contractor.
- Review and analyze Major Repair and Renewal (MRR) project schedules to ensure that MRR
projects do not disrupt clinical adjacencies and do not disrupt healthcare operations or hinder
- Detection, recognition, and resolution of any activities that might present an obstruction to the healthcare facility satisfactory progress of MILCON construction during the planning and execution
- Provide technical support as investigating, analyzing, and evaluating of the design criteria to correct
problems and discrepancies
- Review demolition plans, construction methods, utility outage plans, phasing plans, medical
transition and initial outfitting plans, and any other construction procedures that will have a direct or indirect impact on clinical adjacencies, healthcare processes medical staff, patients, visitors, or
- Assure delivery of Government Furnished Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment in accordance with established initial outfitting schedule requirements
- Review design drawings and specifications for compliance with the National Fire Protection
Association (NFPA) 101 Life Safety Code, the International Building Codes (IBC), the International
Plumbing Codes (IPC), the Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) 4-510-01 Design Medical Criteria, and the American Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards for Accessible Design adherence to the healthcare
- Participate with multi-disciplinary design teams encompassing functional aspects of operations,
architectural, mechanical, electrical, life safety systems, fire protection systems, telecommunication
systems, and power/backup generator systems. Ensure compliance with specifications and safety
- Provide on-site construction oversight and assurance. Keep supervisor informed about potentially
controversial findings, issues, or problems with widespread impact. Emphasize and enforce safety on the projects by ensuring that all projects have an approved Safety, Infectious Control Risk
Assessment (ICRA), and Interim Life and Safety Measure (ILSM) plan. Liaison with the Corps of
Engineers, the general construction contractor, BAMC Facilities, and the medical staff
representatives on a daily basis.
- Review, compare, and approve shop drawings, material, and equipment submitted by the construction contractor. Verify submittals are in accordance with the intent of the design, contract
specifications, UFC 4-510-01 Design Medical Criteria and user requirements.
- Knowledgeable of Federal, State and healthcare industry codes for the design and construction of healthcare facilities;
- Participated resolving Joint Commission accreditation requirements for the Environment of Care
- Review request for change/change orders from the medical staff and ensure requests are in accordance with scope of work as well as in compliance with specifications and safety standards
- Healthcare operations experience and the knowledge of medical functional concepts of operations,
clinical adjacencies, and healthcare processes to support the most functional medical facility
- Heavily involved in coordinating clinical adjacencies during Major Repair and Renewal (MRR)
projects at BAMC.
- Coordinate equipment installation; contractor provided-contractor installed and government
provided-contractor installed equipment.
- Participate throughout the whole process of initial outfitting and installing equipment; planning,
design, procurement, installation, testing, training, and turnover to user/customer. Work hands-on with equipment manufacture during planning, executing, and completion phases to ensure proper
- Ensure drawings and contract specification meet utility and space requirements for equipment.
- Have knowledge and understanding of Corps of Engineers procedures and military construction
(MILCON) authorization and appropriation processes
- Resolve discrepancies and recommend solution on all equipment concerns.