Public Relations Specialist
The Ohio State University, Newark, OH
Jul 2006 – Current
Proactively communicate via traditional and social media channels to execute brand-marketing strategy.
* Manage, process, and standardize press releases, statements, and other written materials for use with the media.
* Interact with media professionals to raise awareness, pitch stories, arrange interviews, and publicize events.
* Advise, guide, and counsel faculty on all public relations and branding matters.
* Handle and resolve community complaints and issues relating to campus events.
* Manage special and community events, including Chautauqua 2007, Newark Earthworks Day, Convocation, Holiday Celebration, and Graduation Celebration.
* Coordinate with faculty, staff, students, and the Dean/Director to create and maintain positive relationships with constituents and the neighboring communities.
* Plan, design, and maintain the homepage (newark.osu.edu) and multiple sub pages. Responsible for creating graphic and written content.
* Served on CMS and Web Redesign Selection Committee and co-designed structure of new templates for the entire site.
* Independently spearheaded social media efforts, which includes multiple Facebook pages (primary campus, admissions office, LeFevre Art Gallery, and Newark Earthworks Center), Twitter accounts, and FourSquare check-in locations.
* Manage promotional YouTube video series projects, setting up timelines, overseeing interviews, storyboarding, editing, and conducting final reviews.
* Graphically design posters, flyers, banners, and other promotional materials for campus events.
* Serve as co-editor of the quarterly newsletter "Profiles" and annual "Progress Report."
* Manage budgets for YouTube video series projects and Holiday Celebration.
* Tracking response and attendance to evaluate marketing and advertising effectiveness.
* Organize the Dean/Director's annual Faculty Lecture Series.
* Mentor students at the request of faculty members.
West Virginia Housing Development Fund, Charleston, WV
May 2005 – Aug 2005
Wrote and designed consumer survey for print and web.
* Developed and design brochure targeted to West Virginia realtors.
* Produced Request for Proposals materials and assisted in the assessment of proposals.
The George Washington University, Washington, DC
Mar 1999 – Oct 2001
Managed 40-person National Advisory Council.
* Designed, managed, and produced fundraising newsletter, from editorial planning to print shop and delivery (circulation 16,000).
* Developed promotional material, including text for website, TECHniques newsletter, and correspondence with donors; ghostwrote letters for the Interim Dean.
* Planned events, including coordination of conferences and board meetings.
* Managed office budget (print, promos, travel).
Stonebridge Associates, Inc, Bethesda, MD
Jun 1998 – Mar 1999
Planned and booked travel, file systems, and correspondence for three project managers.
* Settled expenses for managers and projects.
* Designed and upgraded contact information and management for office.
Events Planner/Press and Development Assistant
Advocates for Youth, Washington, DC
May 1995 – Jun 1998
Coordinated 1995 and 1997 internationally attended conferences and planned biannual board meetings (300 and 500 attendees, respectively).
* Produced quarterly fundraising newsletter, including written content, layout, and collaboration with printer and mail house.
* Produced press releases and arranged interviews and press conferences.
* Researched potential donors, made initial calls to foundations, built relationships.
* Microsoft: Access, Excel, FrontPage, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, SharePoint, and Word.
* Adobe Design Premium CS4: Acrobat Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements; PageMaker.
* Other/Database: Audacity; Final Cut; Final Draft; Blackbaud Raiser's Edge; SCT Banner Advancement; SCT Banner Student.; and Thomas Reuters Research in View.
INVOLVEMENT & MEMBERSHIPS
* Campus Service: Campus Commitment, Participant, Ohio State Newark, 2009; Staff Development Committee Member, Ohio State Newark, 2008 - present; Staff Forum Secretary, 2010-11 (elected); Campus Campaign Planning Committee Member, Ohio State Newark, 2006-2008, 2010, and 2012; Diversity Committee, 2010 - present.
* OSU Service: ¿Qué Pasa, OSU?, Editor, 2008 - present; Community Board Member, 2010 - present.